Associate Faculty Reemployment Preference Resources
The deadline to apply for consideration for preference for Fall 2019 is:
Thursday, October 18, 2018.
The deadline to apply for consideration for preference for Spring 2020 is:
Thursday, April 4, 2019.
Please Note: Retired Full-Time Faculty who are now teaching in the capacity of Associate Faculty must complete the Associate Faculty Request for Reemployment Preference Form and meet the criteria listed below to be eligible for Reemployment Preference.
The criteria used to determine eligibility is as follows:
- Completing the Associate Faculty Request for Reemployment Preference Form
- Teaching the specific course within the past two years. (On or after July 1, 2017 when the MOU was implemented).
- Teaching the specific course at the specific college in the district where preference is being requested.
- Teaching the requested course for at least 2.0 total FTE per course (10 courses if 0.2) or 1,215 non-instructional hours (Counselors/Librarians) at the specific college where preference is being requested.
- Receiving at least three satisfactory evaluations regarding the specific course requested. This requirement includes being on the three year evaluation cycle due to satisfactory evaluations that include peer evaluations and student evaluations or the equivalent.
If an Associate Faculty member does not meet the criteria to receive preference, it does not mean that he/she may not be given a future teaching assignment. It just means the Associate Faculty member will not be placed on the reemployment preference list yet. The Associate Faculty member may still teach if given an assignment.
For Associate Faculty who have not been evaluated three times in the same class, at the same location, it was purposely written into the MOU that Associate Faculty may ask to be evaluated every Fall and Spring term in order to quickly earn preference. The new legislation (SB 1379) for reemployment preference has changed the process in our District for Associate Faculty evaluations.
If the Associate Faculty member does not meet the requirement(s) based on evaluations, yet has taught the same course at the same college for a minimum of 2.0 FTE, it is being recommended they immediately ask to be evaluated during the current term if teaching a course. Once they have received three satisfactory evaluations for the same course, at the same college, apply for preference again to request to be placed on the reemployment preference list.
The process to apply for eligibility:
- Associate Faculty who wish to be considered for “preference,” must complete the Associate Faculty Request for Preference Formand submit to his/her Area Dean. The Dean will sign the form and send to the District Educational Services office for approval.
- Educational Services will communicate to the Associate Faculty member that his/her preference form has been approved/denied and will then forward the information back to the VP, Academic Affairs who will forward the information to the Area Dean(s).
- Educational Services will create a spreadsheet of Associate Faculty who have been approved for preference and forward to the VP, Academic Affairs who will forward the information to the Area Dean(s).
- Area Dean(s) will forward the preference status spreadsheet to Department Chair(s).
- (Department Chair(s) should be reviewing Associate Faculty within their department(s) who are potentially eligible for preference to ensure that preference is warranted.)
- Distribution of Associate Faculty Teaching Availability form(s) shall be distributed for the upcoming Spring term by the Department Chair(s) and/or IDS.
Please contact your College's Faculty Association's Part-Time Representatives for questions:
Emily Philippsen for Riverside (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ervin Slavick for Moreno Valley (email@example.com)
Diana Campuzano for Norco (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please contact Dr. Shari Yates (222-8903) or Susan Brucks (222-8381) if you have any questions.
Forms & Documents: