Educational Services Banner

Sa​bbatical​​​ Leave

Sabbatical Leave, a leave of absence not to exceed one academic year, is part of the total professional growth program and should consist of study and/or research or return to industry or business for the purpose of improvement of the individual's contribution to the District.

​Forms - Updated Forms in Process

Please complete the Sabbatical Leave Request Form along with your Sabbatical Leave Proposal and, once signed by your Department Chair, submit them with the Sign Off page to your Vice President of Academic Affairs and the Vice Chancellor of Educational Services and Strategic Planning.

Requests for Sabbatical Leave are facilitated by the District Academic Senate, Faculty A​ssociation and PG&SL Committee. 

  • Deadline Date(s): March 15 of the current academic year for the following academic year. 
  • May 15* for the Spring semester only of the next academic year*. 
  • *Deadline Date: May 17, 2021 (May 15 falls on a Saturday) - Spring Term

* A "Certificate of Health" signed by physician (Article XIII, Q.3.d) must accompany your Sabbatical Leave Request.

** Please be aware that a Sabbatical Leave Bond is required and must be submitted to the Vice Chancellor of Educational Services and Strategic Planning by August 1. 

Prior to the beginning of your leave, it will be necessary that you provide a suitable bond indemnifying the District against loss in the event that y ou fail to render at least two (2) academic years' service in the District immediately following your leave. The bond, for which the District will pay 50% under the terms of the CTA Agreement, should be provided to the Vice Chancellor of Educational Services and Strategic Planning, along with an invoice for one-half of the bond amount for your reimbursement. You will need to submit the original sabbatical bond, an invoice and a copy of the check or receipt showing your payment for the bond. Address the invoice to Riverside Community College District, attention, Vice Chancellor of Business and Financial Services. The invoice should show the full amount less one-half which is your responsibility and the net amount which is the District's Vice Chancellor of Educational Services and Strategic Planning and the Vice Chancellor of Business and Financial Services responsibility, respectively. Include your name and address and a reimbursement check will be mailed to you.