Add Users to a Course
The Add User functionality (+People button) is available to faculty in their courses. Please keep the following in mind as you use this function in your courses:
- All students in a course must register and use Add codes via Colleague/WebAdvisor.
- Never add a student to your course who intends to take the course for a grade. Doing so creates a conflict from the same student having two assigned roles in Canvas. This conflict will prevent students from interacting in the course to submit assignments, take quizzes, and complete other activities.
- Students may be added to your course in the SI role. This can occur because they will not become registered students taking the course for a grade.
- Faculty Chairs and colleagues may be added to your course at any time and for any reason approved by administrative or faculty leadership.
To facilitate IOI evaluations, consider assigning the Observer or TA role. Since both roles have limitations, review the information about each role below to determine which user role will work best for your IOI evaluation.
User(s) can be assigned one of six roles. Review this list of available roles for information about each role.
- Teacher – This role is able to build content in a course, grade student work, and add users to a course.
- Co-Teacher – This role is the same as the teacher role but is not able to add users to a course. This role is helpful when there is a need to distinguish between two teachers in the same course.
- TA – This role is able to see unpublished instructor content but will not be able to view student grades, assignments, or discussion submissions for the time being. This is a good option for student tutors.
- Designer – This role is able to build content in Canvas the same as the teacher role but will not be able to view grades or course analytics.
- Observer – This role is able to see what a student is able to see but is not able to submit assignments or take quizzes in the course. This role can view announcements and post to discussions. This role may be useful for those who want to review a course. This role should no longer be assigned to students to avoid registration conflicts.
- SI – This role is for Supplemental Instructional Leaders and is able to create announcements, discussions, calendar items, and access ConferZoom meetings. This role is unable to see unpublished instructor content.
For more information on the permissions of each role, review this Canvas Permissions.
NOTE: Changes to Canvas roles and permissions will now require input from DE Chairs, CTA, and Academic Senate. If you would like to see additional roles or permissions, please share your input with one or all of these faculty representative bodies.