Riverside City College's 100th Anniversary Countdown
March 21, 2016
1958 was a turning point for Riverside City College Cosmetology. In the 13 years since its 1945 approval by the Riverside Board of Education, the program had rapidly outgrown the two Quadrangle classrooms it occupied. As the division expanded, Alice Neal and Irma Judd were aided by staff additions – Bergit Hagen (1955), Susan Hanenberger (1956), and Doris Spivey (1957).
Below is a photo of Cosmetology students in the Quad that appeared in the 1958-9 RCC Catalog.
New facilities for Cosmetology were built on the eastern side of the campus, off of Olivewood Ave. Below is a November 7, 1957 photo and headline from the “Tiger Times” student newspaper.
The caption of the photo read:
“The architect’s conception of the new Cosmetology building which will be located on Olivewood Drive. The cost of the building, which should be completed in April, will be approximately $173,000. The building has no windows, but is fully air conditioned. RCC is striving to have THE Cosmetology department of Southern California.”
The article read:
“April has been scheduled as the tentative completion date of the new Cosmetology building on Olivewood Drive according to O.W. Noble, RCC President. The Cosmetology building is a dodecagon with 12 sides. It will have no windows and be completely air-conditioned. The property has been in the possession of RCC for several years. It was donated by a former Riverside businessman. Forty prospective Cosmetology students were turned away this year because of inadequate space. The new building will accommodate many new students.”
The interior photo (below) of the of the under construction Cosmetology building appeared in the January 16, 1958 issue of the “Tiger Times” student newspaper.
The caption read:
“COMING ALONG – RCC’s new Cosmetology building is making rapid progress and is expected to be completed in time for next fall’s classes.”
The photo and headline below appeared in the December 11, 1958 issue of the “Tiger Times” newspaper.
The article read:
“The general public and beauty shop operators and owners in the Riverside area are invited to attend an open house of the Division of Cosmetology at Riverside City College. The affair will be held in the college’s new Cosmetology Building at 4699 Olivewood from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 12. On display will be not only the new building but also the equipment which has been installed in the new facility. The program will include tours of the building and informal talks on the instructional program. An Illustrated invitation which is being distributed to individuals who have previously indicated an Interest in the college’s program explains the reason for the new building’s twelve-sided shape. It is the most economical approximation of a circle, and within this uniquely designed structure work rooms and classrooms are grouped around a central dispensing station. This permits maximum control over supplies and equipment, facilitates faculty supervision of student work, and makes it possible for patrons to move from one department to another without disturbing work going on In other sections of the building. Equipment, as Mrs. Alice Neal, chairman of the division of cosmetology points out, has been carefully selected for its value in the Instructional program. It was chosen after instructors and administrators had inspected other junior college cosmetology departments and commercial shops and had seen how the equipment was working out in actual practice. Some equipment was custom made for City College, but only when the especially designed equipment proved less expensive or significantly more adaptable to Instructional activities, Mrs. Neal said. The cosmetology program requires 1600 clocked hours of each student, and the course provides training in such branches of the profession as permanent waving, hair styling, hair tinting, facial work, and manicuring. Consideration also is given to the related subjects of personal hygiene, public health, physiology, bacteriology, psychology, shop ethics, and salesmanship. The course qualifies students to take the state board examinations in cosmetology, and students can earn the Associate in Arts degree by supplementing their vocational training with courses in English and History. The cost of the new building was approximately $178,000. The invitation calls particular attention to the fact that the local taxpayer meets only part of this cost. In fact, it has been estimated that over a 10-year period the City College district will collect in out-of-district tuition very nearly the construction cost of the new facility. High school districts whose residents enroll in the cosmetology program at Riverside City College pay tuition according to a formula set by the state. Also, women who patronize the department are charged fees large enough to pay for the cost of supplies used.”
In the early 1960s further additions to the Cosmetology staff were Irmy Tilton (1960), Ruby Stahan & George Bernyk (1963), William T. Issitt (1964). The two photos below appeared in the 1961 “Tequesquite” yearbook.
The caption for the top photo read:
“HOT SUBJECT – Mrs. Alice Neal, right, points out special features of hair steamer to fellow Cosmetology instructors, Doris Spivey, Irma Judd and Susan Hannenberger. The instruction is as good as the equipment.”
The caption for the bottom photo read:
“SUPERVISION – Mrs. Irmy Tilton (standing) notes techniques employed by Cosmetology student Carol Northrup as she gives a manicure to Mrs. Shirley Parker. Students receive training in all phases of their profession.”
Alice Neal retired in 1963, leaving Irma Judd (1949-1965), Doris Spivey (1957-1974), Irmy Tilton (1960-1980), and Ruby Strahan (1963-1973) to carry on.
The two photos below ran in the 1964 “Tequesquite” yearbook.
The caption for the top photo read:
“VISUAL AIDS – Cosmetology instructors George Bernyk, Ruby Strahan, Irmy Tilton and Doris Spivey listen attentively as Department head Irma Judd explains one of the diagrams used in teaching science, mathematics and other theoretical background related to the profession.”
The caption for the bottom photo read:
“LANGUAGE OF SMILES – All is well up in Cosmetology, as the happy faces of clerks Freda Gunn and Madge Mathews and student Barbara Swigart clearly show. Students all take a turn at helping in the dispensary to round out their instruction.”
The Cosmetology faculty was pictured in the 1965 yearbook.
(top row) Irma Judd (1949-1965), Doris Spivey (1957-1974), Irmy Tilton (1960-1980)
(bottom row) Ruby Strahan (1963-1973), George Bernyk 1963-1965), William Issitt 1964-1966)
The headline below ran in the October 7, 1965 issue of the “Tiger Times” newspaper.
The text of the article read:
“Cosmetology -— the care of the skin, the hair, and the nails -- has been an important part of RCC‘s curriculum since 1945. At that time the course was only experimental, but at present the department Is one of the most popular and best developed on campus. Located In the uniquely shaped brick building at the corner of Cridge and Olivewood, Cosmetology has an enrollment of about 100. The staff is headed by Mrs. I. Judd who has been at RCC since 1948. The other staff members instruct students in their own special branch of cosmetology. Mrs. Doris Spivey, assistant to Mrs. Judd, is the haircut specialist. William Issitt is the cold wave instructor. New to the department this year is Mrs. Fay Roberts, specialist in canitics or color. Mrs. Irmy Tilton is also an instructor. In addition to instructors, the staff Includes Mrs. Mathews and Mrs. Gunn, administrative personnel, and Mr. David Marone, sanitation engineer. Students of Cosmetology may enroll in September, in January, in April or In June. There are no semesters and students are not required to complete the course within any specific length of time, but most finish within 12 months. The course of study Includes lectures, reading and written assignments as well as the practical experience in the techniques of Cosmetology. Freshmen students practice on manikins while the more advanced students use “live” people. Several days a week the facility becomes a regular beauty salon with patrons from the whole Riverside area. When a student has completed 1600 hours of theory and practice work, he is eligible to become a licensed beautician and begin professional work. Being away from the main campus and having to work and study from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. five days a week means that Cosmo students can’t participate in most RCC activities. The Cosmo Club, made up from most of the department, provides many varied activities. President this year is Lauren Walmer. Stan Lara is vice president. Other officers are Rae Gomez, secretary; Monte Ward, treasurer; Andrea Nixon, social chairman; and Priscilla Champion, AWS representative. Each year Cosmos enter a float and a queen candidate in the Homecoming contests. Cosmetology students take part in a number of different competitions. These include statewide as well as local contests. In the annual contest sponsored by the Accredited Cosmetology Teachers of California last year, Sandy Steffin, an RCC Cosmetology student, won first place in the overall competition. On November 14 several RCC students will compete in the 2nd Inland Empire show at the Ramada Inn in Riverside. Some of the categories to be covered are hair shaping, long hair creations, and “the new trend” for this season. Stan Lara, Cosmos vice president, will try his skill in the student contest (800 to 1600 hours division). Lara, one of the advanced students, was the recipient last May of the department award for “Student of the Month.” This award is made by the staff to students who show the traits of ambition, scholastic ability, neat appearance, good attitude, and friendly personality, as well as good cosmetology skill. The RCC Cosmetology program is a successful one. The college has been congratulated on the department’s high job placement record. Two of the present staff members, Mrs. Tilton and Mr. Issitt, are fine examples of the training. Although most students take only the 1600 hours of vocational training, by taking a few additional “regular” classes, a student may also qualify for the Associate In Arts degree. One thing the Cosmetology department has very much In common with the rest of RCC is construction. An addition to the lounge facilities is under way at the present time. This will help it to better accommodate the 100 - plus persons who spend the major part of five days a week in the brick building.
The article below ran in the March 31, 1967 issue of the Tiger Times” student newspaper.
The captions for the photos read:
“COMBING OUT, - a delicate technique is performed by this member of the cosmetology department. In the photo at right beginning students use manikins to practice on while under the watchful eye of the instructors”
“THE FINAL TOUCHES – are the result of hard work and concentration as this RCC coed shows. High styling is one of the difficult tasks performed in cosmetology.”
The text of the article read:
“Tiger beauticians-to-be get their training by actual experience in working with the many facets of Cosmetology. The course of study, 1600 hours in total, covers all the parts through classwork, lectures, reading and writing assignments, and actual work on fellow students and finally on paying customers. Several times a week the circular building on the corner of Cridge and Olivewood becomes a beauty salon with patrons from the whole Riverside area. Students may enroll in September, January, April or June. There are no semesters and the student is not required to finish in any specified time, but most finish in 12 months. The program is divided into four groups: Cosmetology 50, 51, 52, 53, and 54. In each step the student advances to a different type of beauty work. Emphasis is put on hair styling with beginning students working on manikins and the advanced students doing the latest “Paris” hairdos. Students are now preparing to enter the state contest with the fancy hairstyles being done on fellow students. After completion of the 1600 hours of theory and practice work, the students are eligible to become a licensed beautician and begin professional work.”
Our intention is to give everyone a weekly glance at the many people and events that have been a part of the thanks go to the RCC Digital Library Archives and the District’s Office of Strategic Communications and Relations for allowing us to use their photo and newspaper collections. Thanks as well to all of the RCC students and Faculty Advisors that were a part of the yearbook and newspaper staffs. Thanks also to Tom Johnson and Gilbert Jimenez who wrote “the book” about RCC’s history. “Riverside City College 1916-1981- A 65 Year History” is available in the RCC Digital Library. For copyright purposes, all images originating from Riverside City College publications and the District’s Office of Strategic Communications and Relations are the property of the Riverside Community College District.
Countdown to 100 Years: Archives